Vygotsky TIPR

In my first visit to the classroom, the students were doing a peer teaching assignment called a "jigsaw".  The students first divided into four groups with each group researching a different myth about science.  Then they formed new groups with a representative from each of the four original group.  The students would take turns teaching each other about their content area in these new groups until everyone was informed.  The Teacher and I would walk around to the different groups and listen in while the students taught each other.

The four original groups would research their respective myth using the internet and by talking to the teacher and myself.  This created a ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) where each group could learn from the MKOs (More Knowledgeable Others) of myself, the teacher and the internet.  Each student had to internalize their information and then prepare to teach it with private speech. 

Once reorganized into new groups,  Each student would teach their peers, while the teacher and I walked around and expounded on what the students said.  This created a scaffolding of multiple ZPDs with each student acting as MKO for their group, while the Teacher and I acted as MKOs for the whole class. 

All this allowed students to Play around with their own ideas while talking to their teacher and their peers.  This also allowed me to use a cultural tool to explain global warming:  "Have you ever over-dressed and then gotten too hot?  Your body isn't producing more heat than normal, but the coat is keeping more of the heat in.  Global Warming acts the same way.  The greenhouse gasses keep more of the heat in."

The students needed to learn out erroneous myths and what the scientific truth was.  They needed to first learn for themselves and then teach others.  I think this lesson help most of those needs, but I also think the students needed more instruction on what to look for.  I think one way to help focus them would be to give some example questions with each myth.

When I teach, I would have two parts two my lesson.  The first would have more scaffolding and instruction, while the second would allow them to play with the concepts and internalize them.  I would use more cultural tools to help connect the concept with things they already know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Theory of Learning

Operant conditioning

Classical Conditioning